Are you searching how to create a subdomain in GoDaddy with various methods? Here is a walkthrough with screenshots.
What is GoDaddy?
GoDaddy is top Notch Domain Registrar founded in 1997 as Jomax Technologies. And later in 1997 they changed the name to GoDaddy. Its headquarters are in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Currently, GoDaddy has become world’s number 1 domain registrar and serves 19 million customers throughout the globe along with 14 facilities all around the world.
Along with Domain registration, GoDaddy serves with various services like Shared Hosting, VPS hosting and managed WordPress Hosting.
What are sub-domains?
If you are a customer of GoDaddy (Either Domain or hosting or Both) you can create subdomains on your own. Before create subdomains in GoDaddy you must know what actually subdomains are.
Subdomains are basically part of your domain that comes as a prefix of original domain name extension. Now suppose you have a domain Yourdomain.com then subdomain will look like Sub.Yourdomain.com. In this example Sub is the subdomain of yourdomain.com.
Well, lets go to detail for better understanding. We will start with learning all aspects and parts of a Domain. Here we will take Yourdomain.com as an example domain URL.
So, the URL is: https://yourdomain.com/
This particular domain URL consists of two major parts.
- Https, is called the protocol which is a set of guidelines that any browser understands and make connections with the servers.
- com, is the domain or URL to your main website. Now this particular URL is also made up of two parts:
- TLD or Top-level domain which in this case is .com. There are so many TLDs available like Net, ORG, .US, .Club, .Site, .online etc.
- The second one is called SLD or second level domain, which in this case is This is the name you buy from any domain registrar.
Now, getting back to subdomains. A Subdomain is the namewhich consists another second name before the SLD> For an example if your website is Yourdomain that is hosted on https://example.Yourdomain.com then example would be your subdomain.
Why we need a Subdomain?
There are many cases you will need subdomains for your website. A subdomain actually separates your websites in multiple parts. For an example if you have a general blog then you can create subdomains to launch a discussion forum like forum.yourdomain.com or if you want to open a shop then you can create a subdomain as shop.yourdomain.com. You can even create a support subdomain as support.yourdomain.com or separate your blogs from website using a subdomain as blog.Yourdomain.com.
Here are some real-life examples of subdomains that bloggers and website owners use:
- Creating multilingual version of any websites. For example, En.Yourdomain.com or Ru.Yourdomain.com etc.
- Many people use subdomains to create a mobile version of a website (m.yourdomain.com).
- You can even create a network of all sites that you own.
- You can make some creative subdomains and link them on your home pages of your website. Suppose you are a web designer or graphic designer or a content writer, then you can create a subdomain like hireme.yourdomain.com and point it on your website.
How much it will cost for creating subdomain in GoDaddy?
Well, GoDaddy offers unlimited subdomains for free when you purchase a domain or hosting. And you even don’t need to purchase a new domain name to create a subdomain for your website.
Not only GoDaddy, subdomains are generally free from all the hosting and domain registrars. So, you can enjoy creating as much subdomains as you want for free.
Methods to Create Subdomain in GoDaddy:
Well, creating a subdomain with GoDaddy is not a rocket science. It just requires a few technical knowledges. But you don’t need to be tensed as we are here is full step by step guidelines to create subdomains in GoDaddy or any other hosts.
Before starting, you need to know there are various methods to create subdomains and that totally depends on which type of product you have from GoDaddy. Like if you have hosting from GoDaddy then you can create subdomains from cPanel itself. But in case you only have domain then you can use the CNAME method or DNS method to create subdomains.
Steps to Create a Subdomain in GoDaddy with cPanel?
If you have GoDaddy hosting then you can simply go to cPanel and create Subdomains. Here are the steps:
- Open your GoDaddy account.
- Login to your GoDaddy dashboard.
- Now you have to navigate to My Products Once you will click on My Products, you will see your hosting plan listed there.
- Select your hosting and simply click on the cPanel to visit the cPanel of GoDaddy.
- Once you get into the cPanel, simply scroll down until you reach the Subdomains Now click on the Subdomains.
- Once you will reach the subdomain page, you will see form to create new subdomain.
- Enter your desired subdomain name in the first section.
- If you have multiple domains then select the domain for which you want your subdomain.
- You don’t need to select the root of document as it will be filled automatically.
- Once you are done with the form, click on Create And Congratulations! You have created your first subdomain.
Steps to Create a Subdomain in GoDaddy (Without Hosting):
Well, if you don’t have a hosting account on GoDaddy, then you have to choose this alternative method.
However, you can create your subdomain by your own host’s cPanel with the above method easily. This method works with all hosts.
If you only have domain from GoDaddy, then you can go with the following steps to make subdomains GoDaddy.
- Open your GoDaddy account.
- Login to your GoDaddy dashboard.
- Now you have to navigate to My Products You will see your domains listed there.
- Select the domain which you want subdomains for and navigate to the DNS Management.
- Scroll down the page, you will reach record section. Click on the Add
- Now select the A records from the drop-down menu.
- You will see some fields. Fill the form according to your choice.
- In the first section Host, you have to fill subdomain name.
- In second section Points to, you have to fill the IP address where you want to point your subdomain (IP of your Domain).
- Next section TTL, simply select 10800 seconds and click on the Save
- Congratulations! You have successfully created your subdomain.
What should I do after creating subdomain from Godaddy?
Well, you are free to create anything that you want to do with your new subdomain. For instance, if you want to create a forum on your subdomain then you can host Discourse or other Forum software. If you want to install another blog on that subdomain then you can install WordPress or any other CMS from your cPanel.
You can manually upload or create any file that you want to the subdomain using the file manager or the FTP hosts like FileZilla.
Verdict: Create Subdomain in GoDaddy
Well, I assume I have cleared all your confusions related to how to create a subdomain in Go Daddy. All you need to do is to simply go through this step by step guide and create your subdomain. Both of these methods will not take more than 10 minutes. Feel free to share your thoughts on this in case if you have suggestions or doubts.